First Year Applicants

Most Frequently Asked Questions/Problems about the Application Deadline (last 24 hours)

By December 1, 2010No Comments

We know the USC Scholarship Consideration Application Deadline is here when our phones are ringing off the hook, and emails are coming in faster than we can answer them….  Turns out, I attempted to get this post up yesterday, but we literally didn’t have any free time between all the phone calls and emails most of the same questions.

Our phone and email traffic has been pretty similar lately – so, please read below as we have put together our most frequently asked questions over the last 24 hours.  If you have some questions about the application and the deadline… chances are, we may have an easy answer for you!

1. I completed the USC Application for Admission by the deadline… Do I need to complete anything extra to apply to engineering?

NO.  As long as you complete the USC Application for Admission by the deadline and list one of the Engineering Disciplines as your First Choice Major – You are done!  There is no supplemental application, different application, or any extra material you need to send or complete.
  2. What if my Test Scores, Teacher Recommendations, or Transcripts arrive later than the deadline?

That is OK.  The deadline you need to meet is completing the online application.  The extra materials can arrive soon thereafter, but make sure we get them soon.
  3. I applied via QuestBridge, do I need to complete another USC application?

NO – your QuestBridge application is all you needed to do.  If we need anything further from you, we will be in touch.
  4. I submitted my application a while back and did not list Engineering as my first choice major… But I really am considering engineering – can I change it?

YES – we just need an email stating what you listed as your first choice major, and what you would like it changed to.  Please be sure to include your full name and USCID.
  5. I just submitted my application (or, I had ETS send scores) yesterday – can you check to see if everything is in?

Unfortunately, there is a lag between you sending your documents (including online) and us being able to check your documents, and please give us some time before you call and check.  You can check the online application system for document submission, but in most situations – don’t worry too much.  If we are ever missing anything, we will be sure to let you know.  As long as you hit SUBMIT on the online application, you should be fine…
  6. I seem to be marked as  Transfer Student in the Application (or, I am receiving mail as if I were a Transfer Student), but I am a senior in High School… How did this happen?

One of the first questions in the application asks if you have taken any college courses SINCE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION.  You likely checked that box if you enrolled in college courses during high school, and just misread the statement.  As a result, your application has been marked as a Transfer Application – and we can get that fixed very easily.  Just email us at viterbi.admission@usc.edu and let us know your full name and USCID number.
  7. If I completed my application by December 1st, does this mean I have applied for Financial Aid?

NO – By completing your application by December 1st you will be automatically considered for the top, merit-based scholarships at USC.  Note that there are some scholarships listed here that have separate applications and/or deadlines.  Your next step is to complete the Financial Aid application process to be considered for need-based financial aid.  Instructions and link to the applications are listed here.  In addition, you may want to search for even more scholarships to which you can apply.
  8. If I miss the December 1st Application Deadline, can I still apply?

YES – the final application deadline is January 10, 2011.  Make sure you don’t miss that one though!

We hope this helps ease some fears out there.  I know the application season can be extremely stressful… but dont worry.  We are here to help you as much as we can.  If you are running into difficulties, just let us know.  We want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it can.

Good Luck with the rest of your applications!

Paul Ledesma

As Executive Director, Paul oversees Undergraduate Admission for all programs at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. He was born and raised in southern California and is a lifetime Dodgers fan. He enjoys traveling (Italy may be a second home), discovering new restaurants in LA (tacos anyone?), and while he may not qualify as a bonafide movie-buff, he loves movies (especially comic book movies). He studied Psychology for his bachelor's degree, minored in Public Management, and was active in leadership for community service groups Troy Camp and Dance Marathon while attending USC. When he's not working he enjoys spending time with his wife, daughter, and rescued pup and kitty in Redondo Beach, CA. (well, maybe not the cat so much) Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his