Well, we sure know that the deadline is tomorrow when the last few days our phones have been ringing off the hook trying to ask last minute questions. The emails and phone calls are coming in faster than we can answer them…. and to be honest, almost all the questions are similar.
So – below I am outlining what you have been asking, along with the answers.
- I completed the Common Application and the USC Supplement by December 1st – Do I need to do anything extra to apply for engineering?
NO. As long as you have completed the Common Application and the USC Supplement (instructions here) by listing one of the Engineering disciplines as your First Choice Major – that’s it. Please note that engineering majors have 2 extra short answers to complete in the USC Supplement – but they’re not too bad! There is NO engineering application to complete or any extra material you need to send.
- What if my Test Scores, Teacher Recommendations, or Transcripts arrive later than the deadline.
THAT IS OK. The deadline you need to meet is completing the online application. The extra materials can arrive soon thereafter, but make sure we get them very soon. If we start to read the application and it is missing information, there isn’t much we can do.
- Is it one paragraph for both Engineering Short Answers – or two? Plus, why is there so much space? Am I supposed to fill that space… its like 2.5 pages!
As you can see, these questions are aiming to get to know you a bit better and hopefully learn a little about your personality. Please answer with one paragraph (a few sentences) per question. No need to fill the space, we just wanted to make sure you had enough room!
- I submitted my application a while back and did not list Engineering as my first choice major… But I really am considering engineering – can I change it? YES – we just need an email stating what you listed as your first choice major, and what you would like it changed to. Please be sure to include your full name and USCID.
- If I completed my application by December 1st, does this mean I have applied for Financial Aid?
NO – By completing your application by December 1st you will be automatically considered for the top, merit-based scholarships at USC. Note that there are some scholarships listed here that have separate applications and/or deadlines. Your next step is to complete the Financial Aid application process to be considered for need-based Financial Aid. Instructions and the the link to the applications are listed here. In addition, you may want to search for even more scholarships to which you can apply.
- If I miss the December 1st Deadline, can I still apply?
YES – the Final Application Deadline is January 10, 2012. Make sure you don’t miss that one though!
I hope this helps was some fears and stresses out there. I know this process can be very stressful, but don’t worry! We are here to help you as much as we can. If you are running into challenges, just let us know.
Good luck with the rest of your college applications!