Pre-Engineering at USC
For students who were admitted to another major at USC but are interested in studying engineering or computer science in the Viterbi School, we've created the Pre-Engineering process.
Unfortunately, you cannot change your major before enrolling at USC.
In order to be considered for admission to the Viterbi School, you will need to read through and complete the following steps.
The process typically takes 1-2 semesters at USC to complete before applying and admission is based on your academic performance.
If, after reading through these steps, you have decided to join USC under your admitted major, let us know by completing the form at the bottom of this page. You will need to sign up for new student orientation prior to completing this form. Once that is completed, our advisors will work with you starting at Orientation!
Step 1: Sign up for a registration appointment.
- Registration sign up will open on May 18th.
Step 2: Fill out the Pre-Engineering interest form at the bottom of this page.
- This will help us by telling us what major you’re interested in so we can better prepare your course plan and ensure there are adequate spots in classes
Step 3: Review the process, sample course plans, and admission criteria on our pre-engineering web page.
- You must complete at least 3 pre-engineering courses at USC before you can be reviewed for admission, generally a math, science and engineering course.
- The earliest a newly admitted student can be reviewed for admission is at the end of the fall 2020 semester.
Step 4: Complete your Pre-Orientation Checklist.
- In order to place you into the correct classes and have a smooth registration, it is essential that you fully complete your pre-orientation checklist.
- This includes reporting all AP/IB/A-level exams and taking the Math and Chemistry placement exams.
Step 5: Complete the Viterbi Academic Expectations and Pre-Engineering Blackboard Course
- These courses will be available on blackboard.usc.edu on June 1st. They will have information about building your fall schedule, registering for courses, and pre-engineering admission requirements.
Step 6: Attend a Pre-Engineering Registration and Q&A session
- Learn how to register for classes and ask any questions you may have about the pre-engineering process.
- You can sign up for a session in the Pre-Engineering Blackboard course.
Step 7: Enroll in Courses
- You will be able to enroll in your courses during your registration window. Advisors will be available if you run into any issues during the registration process.
Step 8: Review the Viterbi Undergraduate Handbook
- Learn about all of the majors, programs, support and more in the full PDF of the Handbook here.