Fall Plans

What should you do until the Spring?

Make sure you’re on track to join us next spring
Come to our programs on campus or in a city near you!
Ready to commit? Submit your deposit now

Selecting Fall 2019 Courses

Below are some steps to make sure you take classes in the fall that will transfer to USC when you join us in the spring. The white boxes will provide some helpful tips on finding USC-equivalent courses at your specific institution. If you would like to view a sample course plan for your major, visit the Viterbi Undergraduate Handbook. Sample course plans start on page 28.

Viterbi Undergraduate Handbook

STEP 1:  Sign Up for Math & Science Classes

The most important classes to enroll in this fall are math and science. The information below will help you determine which math and science classes you should register for this fall.

  • MATH
    Take the equivalent to the USC Course of MATH 125, 126, or 226* (Calculus I, II, or III).
    * Computer Science (Games) & Computer Science/Business Majors should take MATH 225 (Linear Algebra)
    Note: AP & IB Scores can help you place in certain levels at your chosen college for the fall.  As a general guideline, Calc AB with a score of 4 or 5 should enroll in the Calc II equivalent. Calc BC with a score of 4, enroll in Calc II equivalent.  Calc BC with a score of 5 should enroll in Calc III equivalent. 
    Take the equivalent to the USC Course of CHEM 105a (General Chem. I).
    Note: AP Chemistry with a score of 4 or 5 satisfies the CHEM 105a course.

    • Computer Engineering/Computer Science & Computer Science (Games) students take an additional GE rather than Chemistry.
    • Electrical Engineering students are not required to take CHEM 105a, and instead can take the equivalent of BISC 120Lg or BISC 220Lg.
      • Please contact our office with any questions you have regarding these course options.
Finding Math & Science Classes

USC has several resources to help you identify transferable coursework at your institution. Here are your key resources for identifying transferable courses:

  • Articulation Agreements : California Community College
    If you attend a California Community College you can use USC’s Articulation Agreements to identify transferable coursework from your school.
  • Articulation Histories
    If you will attend a community college or a four-year institution that is not listed in the articulation agreement database, you should review the USC Articulation Histories website. Articulation Histories will display courses that have transferred to USC for credit in the past and therefore may list few courses if few students have transferred from that school. However, many more courses from that school may be transferable.

STEP 2: Sign Up for Additional Courses

In addition to taking math and science classes, you should, if possible, take a course (or two) that will satisfy a USC GE requirement.

    Engineering students can satisfy the following GE Categories: A, B, C, or D.
    Note:  AP & IB Scores can help you satisfy some of USC’s General Education Categories.
 Finding GE Courses

If you wish to take a GE class this fall:

  • Consult the articulation history or agreement for the school you will attend in the fall.  Enroll in a course(s) that will satisfy Category A, B, C or D.

If the school you are attending in the fall does not list any courses that will satisfy GEs:

Beginning May 15th, you may email us (vadmit@usc.edu) your fall course plans to have it reviewed by a counselor.

Got Questions?

Send ’em over, and we will get right back to you.

Ask a Viterbi Admission staff member!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.