3+2 Program

A transfer program for students at specific liberal arts colleges and universities

The USC Viterbi School of Engineering has established 3+2 programs with many four-year liberal arts colleges around the country.

While 3+2 is not the only way to transfer to USC Viterbi, it offers a unique opportunity to earn two bachelors degrees in 5 years. The first degree in a liberal arts field from the first institution and one in engineering from USC.

3+2 Overview

Are you eligible?

The 3+2 Engineering program is a specially designed curriculum with specific, named, partner schools.  Typically, students spend their first 3 years at a partner liberal arts school completing specific, predetermined coursework in one major, and then apply to transfer to USC  and spend 2 years completing their engineering program.

Please note: Admission to USC through the 3+2 program is not guaranteed and you must attend a partner schools to participate in the 3+2 program.

How to apply

At USC, 3+2 applicants are considered transfer applicants and must follow the USC transfer application process. To apply to transfer as a 3+2 student you must:

Prepare Apply Junior Year

Learn More About Applying

Student Guides

 3+2 FAQs


Below are answers to 3+2 FAQs.  3+2 students are considered transfer students and you can also review Transfer FAQs.

Is admission to USC guaranteed through the 3+2 program?

No, admission to USC is not guaranteed.

Typically, competitive 3+2 applicants have taken advanced math and science courses related to their major and are doing well in these classes – and overall. We recommend that you aim to earn A’s and B’s in your classes and engage in a rigorous curriculum.

I do not attend a 3+2 partner school. Can I apply for the 3+2 program?

No, you must attend a 3+2 partner school to be part of this program.

I receive finanical aid at my current school? Will my financial aid package be the same at USC if I transfer?

Probably not. USC’s financial aid process is need-based and to determine your need the USC Financial Aid Office asks you to complete the FAFSA and CSS Profile.  This information (and sometimes additional info) is used to determine your financial aid package.

We encourage all applicants who are eligible for financial aid to engage in the financial aid process.  Typically, we recommend that you submit your application for admission by February 1st and then start working on the financial aid process.  You should not wait to get an admission decision from USC and then apply for financial aid.

Do I have to complete all my General Education courses prior to transfer to USC?

Yes, it’s very important for you to complete all of your partner school’s GE courses prior to transfer to USC.

Is it easier to be admitted to USC under the 3+2 program?

No. The 3+2 program is just a different way to transfer to USC.  It’s not the preferred way or an easier way. Just different.

In terms of time – it usually takes longer to transfer to USC under the 3+2 program versus just applying as a regular transfer student (you can apply as a regular transfer student after just one year elsewhere).

Can I apply as an undeclared engineer?

No – undeclared engineering is really an option designed for first year applicants.  As a 3+2 student, you need to declare a major on the application.

I am an international student. Do I still need to submit a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE exam score as a 3+2 applicant?

Yes – international applicants must submit a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE exam score.  For more information about this visit https://admission.usc.edu/apply/international-students.


In addition to submitting the Common Application 3+2 Applicants must also submit the 3+2 Application.  The Common Application are due on February 1st.  The 3+2 Application is due March 31.  This short application should only take about five to ten minutes to complete.  Applicants should only submit the 3+2 Application after they have completed the Common Application & USC Writing Supplement.

Before you fill out the 3+2 Application below, you must complete the Common Application (including the USC Writing Supplement) for Admission to the University listing an engineering major as your first choice major no later than February 1, 2019.

The 3+2 Application is available from Jan. 7 – Mar. 31, 2020.

The submission period for the Fall 2020 3+2 Application has closed. If you have questions, please contact viterbi.admission@usc.edu.