Skip to main content
First Year Applicants

Spring Admits: Your Plans for Fall

By April 5, 2011April 29th, 20115 Comments

For those of you who are admitted to the Spring 2012 semester – and want to (or are thinking about) study engineering at USC – we strongly recommend enrolling in a community college or other university for the Fall 2011 semester.

Click the jump to see the types of courses you should be taking this fall in order to stay on track to graduate with the rest of your class who wil start at USC in the fall…

The chart below can assist you in selecting classes that are likely to transfer to and keep you on track to graduate with your class:

  • MATH
    Take the equivalent to the USC Course of MATH 125, 126, or 226 (Calculus I, II, or III)
    Note that AP Scores can help you place in certain levels at your chosen college for the fall.  As a general guideline, Calc AB with a score of 4 or 5 should enroll in the Calc II equivalent.  Calc BC with a score of 5 should enroll in Calc III equivalent
    Take the equivalent to the USC Course of CHEM 105a (General Chemistry I)
    Note that AP Chemistry with a score of 4 or 5 satisfies the CHEM 105a course
    Choose equivalent courses that meet USC’s GE Requirements for Categories I, II, or V
    Take an additional G.E. course from another category listed above
    Computer Programming Course (C++) – Only for Chemical Engr., Computer Science, and Industrial & Systems Engr. Majors

In order to find equivalent courses at whichever college or university you will attend this fall, be sure to check out the USC Articulation Histories database.  We understand that the Articulation Office has put up a website and page for Spring Admits.  It is important to follow the above instructions if you are thinking about studying engineering.  The above courses will help you move forward towards your degree in engineering, and keep you on track for graduation.

While you may not know your plans for the fall just yet, please know we want to help you with this process.  We understand you likely have questions and the chart above may not easily apply to your individual set of circumstances.

Beginning in May, students admitted to Spring 2012 may schedule advising appointments (over the phone, or in-person) with an admission counselor to discuss your plans.  Contact us directly at (800) 526 3347 or via email at in May to schedule your appointment.

Paul Ledesma

As Executive Director, Paul oversees Undergraduate Admission for all programs at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. He was born and raised in southern California and is a lifetime Dodgers fan. He enjoys traveling (Italy may be a second home), discovering new restaurants in LA (tacos anyone?), and while he may not qualify as a bonafide movie-buff, he loves movies (especially comic book movies). He studied Psychology for his bachelor's degree, minored in Public Management, and was active in leadership for community service groups Troy Camp and Dance Marathon while attending USC. When he's not working he enjoys spending time with his wife, daughter, and rescued pup and kitty in Redondo Beach, CA. (well, maybe not the cat so much) Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his


  • Eric Chang says:

    Hi Mr Ledesma,

    I know that if you get a 30 or above in IB you can get 20 credits, but I am not so sure about the individual grades? Because it says ” or 6 semester units for each score of 5,6 or 7 on the IB higher level exams”. So I can either pick on or the other?

  • Eric Chang says:

    *As in the individual subject grades

  • Paul Ledesma says:

    You can choose to get 6 units per HL exam you score well on, according to the policy, or take the flat units, whichever works best for you. Your choice

  • Eric Chang says:

    ok, thanks!

  • Eric Chang says:

    Do you know how the units are allocated or can I chose myself?